Associate Director, Editorial, Skyword Inc.
By She Runs It
Associate Director, Editorial
Company: Skyword Inc.
Location: Boston, MA or Remote
The Associate Director, Editorial leads a team of 4–6 Editorial Managers and oversees the creation, quality assurance, and delivery of content to a portfolio of Skyword’s diverse clients. Additionally, the Associate Director, Editorial implements Skyword’s editorial best practices consistently across the team, provides logistical support to the broader department, serves as a coach and mentor to their team to promote ongoing professional development, and provides ongoing strategic recommendations to ensure consistent growth and value delivery for their clients.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Team and Department Management
- Manage a team of Editorial Managers to support and provide oversight to the timely delivery of weekly and monthly content delivery goals
- Contribute to a nurturing, empowering, and forward-thinking work environment by providing team with ongoing leadership, support, and professional development
- Monitor and manage the workload of each team member and supply team and client status updates to senior management
- Provide coaching on brand storytelling techniques, editorial best practices, writer recruitment, time management, and communication
Editorial Strategy and Digital Publishing
- Act as an expert editorial consultant
- Advise the team on editorial planning, contributor selection, topic development, and brand guidelines
- Review and edit content as necessary
Operations and Execution
- Perform regular performance evaluations for all direct reports
- Support continuous employee growth and development through ongoing coaching and by partnering with Human Resources to identify training opportunities
- Support Human Resources in the hiring process through candidate identification and interviewing
Leadership and Collaboration
- Build and maintain positive relationships between internal and external content creation partners
- Provide a senior-level editorial voice in customer engagements and support the resolution of editorial issues through diplomacy, action plans, and recommendations
- Provide feedback on account health to senior leadership
- Collaborate with the senior director of editorial to drive operational efficiencies and implement new processes and best practices across all editorial functions
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- A Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or a related field
- 8+ years of professional editing and editorial management experience
- 3+ years of team management experience
- Expert level proficiency in Chicago Manual of Style and The AP Stylebook
- Experience managing, developing, nurturing, and inspiring staff
- Excellent communication and editing skills and an exceptional eye for detail
- Experience creating and assessing strong digital content
- Expertise in digital publishing best practices (including writing for SEO, basics of HTML, and familiarity with various CMS platforms)
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, and maintain a brand’s voice
- Ability to prioritize and keep yourself and others on task and organized while juggling multiple tasks and deadlines
- Desire to be a team player and work with all departments of Skyword
- A history of developing strong professional relationships with freelance contributors, clients, and partners
- Experience acclimating quickly to new tools and software
- Google Suite
- Microsoft Suite
- Google Analytics
- Atlassian – JIRA and Confluence
- The AP Stylebook and Chicago Manual of Style
- Jazz Hiring Software
- A competitive market-based salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance plans
- 401(k) Profit Sharing plan
- Flexible vacation time
- 12 paid holidays
- Volunteer days
- An open, friendly work environment
Many things can hold us back from applying to a job posting. The truth is, there’s no such thing as the “perfect” candidate. Skyword is building a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization, so however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, will only complement the team we already have in place. At Skyword every team member can grow and develop. So, please apply if this role inspires you, and would make you want to bring your best to work every day. We’ll bring the rest to make this a memorable experience!Location
The preferred location for this candidate is in the Boston area, to eventually work out of our Boston office in a post COVID world. We are however, open to qualified candidates outside of Massachusetts who would work remotely from their home.
Founded in 2010, Skyword empowers today’s top brands to create unique content experiences that deliver customer value and drive business success. With its SaaS+ model, Skyword offers: a SaaS-based enterprise-level content marketing platform, industry-leading services, and a global community of storytellers. Today’s leading brands have created and published more than one million original stories as articles, videos, images, infographics, podcasts, and animations on Skyword360. These stories have earned Skyword customers more than two billion visits organically, and Skyword has paid its freelance creatives more than $30 million on behalf of its customers. Skyword is a privately held company headquartered in Boston, MA with an office in Washington D.C. Current investors include Rho Acceleration, Cox Media Group, Allen & Company, Progress Ventures, and American Public Media Group.
Skyword is proud to be endorsed by both the analyst community and our customers year after year. Most recently, we were named the 2020 Gartner Peer Insights “Customer’s Choice”, ranked as a leader in Gartner’s 2021 Magic Quadrant, and rated by customers as a leader or high performer across 8 categories (including content creation, distribution, experience, and freelance platform) in G2’s Spring 2021 Grid® Reports.
We’re on a mission to make it easy for brands to tell authentic stories that establish trust and build lasting relationships. We believe that both you and your audience win when you meet their needs with original, expert content. And we’ve got the results to prove it.