Alert Desk Curator – Hearst Television
By She Runs It
Alert Desk Curator
Hearst Television’s Alert Desk team is looking to hire a self-motivated curator who will be responsible for reviewing traffic coming from police, fire and communications personnel to enhance our digital offerings under deadline. The position is in-person and based in the WLWT News 5 newsroom in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Candidates should have newsroom experience and the ability to write clearly and accurately in journalistic style. The ideal candidate will have previous digital experience in a college newsroom or at an established media company, be a multi-tasker who can communicate and write effectively, as well as handle the fast pace of a newsroom and breaking news under pressure and accurately.
- Monitor multiple public safety scanner feeds for stories of interest and breaking news
- Verify information heard on scanners and inform newsroom of information as necessary
- Write and send hyper-local news stories and push notifications to digital audiences
- Work collaboratively with assignment desk editors, digital editors and news managers to tell multi-platform stories that will engage viewers
- Other duties as required
- Familiar with local news gathering techniques, technology and terminology
- Experience writing and editing in AP Style at a newspaper, news website or news magazine
- Demonstrated success working with web-based CMS programs such as WordPress or Wix
- Understanding of analytics and how to use them to implement learnings for improved results
- Strong news and editorial judgment
- Polite and professional when dealing with the public
- Organized and able to multitask
- Excellent communication skills
- Previous digital writing/editing experience preferred
- Ability to remain calm and level-headed during breaking news situations
- Work flexible hours which will include nights and weekends
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
- Military experience is a plus
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires that all newly hired employees be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. HTV will consider requests for reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable legal requirements.Apply Now