Associate General Counsel, AccuWeather
By She Runs It
Associate General Counsel
Who We Need & What You’ll Do
As a part of the Legal Services team, the Associate General Counsel provides and executes legal services for the company. The candidate engages with business leaders to provide advice and counsel across the portfolio of a B2C digital media business with more than 1.5 million users globally and distribution across multiple platforms, an enterprise B2B business providing weather forecasts, severe weather warnings and weather data-driven decision insights to many of the world’s largest companies and a linear television broadcast network carried in millions of homes.
AccuWeather is looking for the Associate General Counsel to work onsite, or in a hybrid work environment, from our Headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania. However, remote candidates who are willing to travel frequently to State College will also be considered for this mid-level opportunity. The Associate General Counsel will report to AccuWeather’s General Counsel.
Who We Are
AccuWeather, recognized and documented as the most accurate source of weather forecasts and warnings in the world, has saved tens of thousands of lives, prevented hundreds of thousands of injuries and tens of billions of dollars in property damage. With global headquarters in State College, Pennsylvania; a severe weather center in Wichita, Kansas; and offices in New York City and elsewhere around the world, AccuWeather serves more than 1.5 billion people daily to help them plan their activities and get more out of their day through innovative digital media properties, such as AccuWeather.com and mobile, as well as AccuWeather For Business (AFB), radio, television, newspapers, digital out of home, the 24/7 AccuWeather Network channel and AccuWeather NOW streaming service. Additionally, AccuWeather produces and distributes news, weather content, and video for more than 180,000 third-party websites.
- Draft, review and provide counsel to clients on commercial transactions, including content and technology license transactions, strategic partnerships and alliances and ad tech platform services
- Serve as a subject matter expert on consumer data privacy issues impacting a digital media company with a global user base
- Provide advice and counsel in issues and agreements in areas such as content delivery over multiple platforms including traditional broadcast, cable distribution and OTT models
- Create and improve commercial contract and other processes
- Produce and conduct engaging and effective training to clients across a variety of subjects, including compliance matters, intellectual property and commercial transactions
- Support M&A and corporate investment transactions
- Manage dispute resolution on select matters
- Manage outside counsel resources as directed by the General Counsel
- Other duties as assigned
- Juris Doctorate degree and at least 10 years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combinations of education and experience
- Experience with both law firm and in house
- Deep understanding of key issues facing global B2C digital media businesses, such as data privacy, consumer protection, deceptive trade practices, cybersecurity and risk mitigation, content licensing inbound and outbound across multiple platforms
- Experience in B2B software, technology and data licensing and analytics transactions
- Ability and desire to go deep into a business with clients to understand business models and economic drivers that create legal risks and opportunities
- Comfort operating in an environment where department and individual performance is measured against both qualitative and quantitative goals and metrics, and advising clients in both the qualitative and quantitative consequences of potential choices
- Comfort with adapting to rapid change associated with a dynamic industry
- Ability to flex communication and influencing styles to drive positive change and improvements with clients of varying levels of sophistication from entry level to C-Suite
- Willingness to drive to solutions and own the outcome as a fellow leader within the business as well as a legal advisor
- Courage to speak up as needed while showing respect and dignity to others
- Demonstrated ability to have unwavering integrity
- In the United States, AccuWeather is only able to hire team members in the following states due to taxation purposes: CA, CO, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MN, MO, NE, NV, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI and WY.
More About AccuWeather
AccuWeather’s innovation-first promise has led to the development of many award-winning and propriety features that are available free to the public, including AccuWeather MinuteCast® Minute by Minute™ forecasts with Superior Accuracy ™, the exclusive AccuWeather RealFeel® Temperature, and AccuWeather RealImpact™ Scale for Hurricanes, among many other revolutionary products for the greater safety, convenience and comfort of our users. Further, AccuWeather serves more than half of the Fortune 500 and thousands of other businesses in the U.S. and globally.
Dr. Joel N. Myers, Founder and Chief Executive Officer, established AccuWeather in 1962 and is considered the “father of modern commercial meteorology.” Dr. Myers, a leading creative thinker and visionary, has been named “the most accurate man in weather” by The New York Times and one of the top entrepreneurs in American history by Entrepreneur’s Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurs.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AccuWeather is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity to all applicants and existing employees and we evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity/expression), sexual orientation, age, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, political affiliation, religion, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. View the EEO is the Law poster here and its supplement here. The pay transparency policy is available here.
AccuWeather is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.Apply Now