DC Food/Dining Editor, Vox Media
By She Runs It
DC Food/Dining Editor
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Eater is looking for an experienced reporter and editor to lead its D.C. city site, one of its marquee publications. The Eater D.C. editor guides day-to-day coverage of the site and its overall sensibility, including its mix of news stories, service-focused maps and guides, and features. They are responsible for audience growth and engagement as well as impact and relevance in the community. The editor will have the drive to continue Eater’s reputation for furthering conversations about the restaurant industry and dining culture in D.C.. They have the ability to predict vs. react to the news cycle; features should proactively examine narratives that are unexpected and important to D.C.’s food scene and the people within it. Stories should not all focus on one area or subject: the editor should have the range to cover the bar and hospitality industries, COVID policy changes, and labor and social justice stories. The role also includes assigning, editing, and packaging freelance pieces; taking ownership of high-touch service maps like the Eater 38; and scheduling/strategizing for social media and the Eater D.C. newsletter.
What you’ll do:
- Have a vision of the food and restaurant culture in D.C. and Eater’s place in it
- Write or assign out and edit all of the site’s content, including daily news, maps and service content, features, and other reporting
- Edit and manage a small group of freelancers, and periodically recruit and develop new writers and contributors to ensure a diverse mix of voices reflecting the demographics of your city
- Create and assign an editorial calendar incorporating news stories, service content, and reviews, including planning longer lead features, trend stories, and packages
- Oversee production and strategy for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and newsletters for Eater D.C., keeping in line with Eater’s standards
- Ensure all copy onsite is copy-edited and meets our style guide and editorial standards
- Ensure all posts are SEO optimized and that headlines meet our standards
- Track openings and develop sources including chefs, restaurateurs, relevant spokespeople, and alternative sources for coverage as needed
- Direct coverage of the unveiling crisis surrounding COVID-19 and its impact on the D.C. restaurant community
- Participate in cross-brand promotional efforts and collaboration with the national Eater.com team as communicated by other team managers when needed
- Occasionally appear on panels, radio, and other public appearance as appropriate for the brand
What you’ll bring:
- Experience in journalism, particularly in breaking daily news, developing sources, covering a beat, and editing other writers
- A vision for ambitious storytelling
- Comfort with cold calling and a sense of urgency surrounding the fast pace of digital news
- A drive to continue Eater’s reputation as the number one source furthering the conversations about the restaurant world in your city.
- A drive to predict vs. react to the news cycle; an ability to create proactive vs. reactive narratives about the restaurant industry
- Attention to detail, news judgement, story packaging, and careful eye for accuracy
- Interest in digital headline writing, analytics, and social media publishing
- A love for restaurants and knowledge of the local scene and at the very least a voracious hunger to become an expert in the industry
Bonus points for:
- Experience covering business, real estate, the restaurant industry, or legal matters
- Experience with photography and article layout
- Experience with writing and/or editing long-lead, high-touch feature stories
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Vox Media is dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees. All employees in our offices are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have an approved religious or medical exemption. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, including submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and wearing a face covering in our offices.
Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, and we will never contact you via text message.Apply Now