Director of Engineering, Consumer, HqO
By She Runs It
Director of Engineering, Consumer
HqO Commercial real estate is the largest asset class on the planet and is being disrupted by the same mobile-consumer wave that is changing society and the world at-large. Commercial real estate has transformed into a user experience business. We all expect premium digital experiences in every aspect of our lives, so much of which happens at work. Property managers need to understand how we interact with our physical workplace and what we value in order to optimize our daily experience, thereby acquiring and retaining the most profitable tenant companies. HqO is the leading Tenant Experience platform for commercial real estate with tens of millions of square feet activated across the USA and coming soon to the UK. Our white-labeled tenant experience apps seamlessly integrate security, safely, amenities, community content, commerce, and convenience. Engagement with our apps drives analytics for property and asset managers that enable data-driven investments to optimize these experiences and stay competitive. HqO is the software layer for the built world.
About the Role: HqO has momentum and is looking to add the right talent to our strong, skilled team. We’re a smart, mobile, early stage company with an entrepreneurial culture and you can have a direct impact on the future of our business, starting now. We engineer products for both consumers and enterprises that are equally critical to our value proposition. In addition, we are evolving our technology into a true global platform for integrating thousands of service providers to address the needs of this emerging space. It takes superior execution and problem-solving skills to make this work. This is where you come in. As the successful candidate for this position, you will be involved throughout the engineering and operation of the HqO product suite, executing on B2C and B2B road maps while scaling through our platform evolution. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, you will manage a team of approximately 10-20 engineers plus offshore contractors in close collaboration with Product Management ensuring cross-team transparency, communication, and effectiveness.
As a Director of Software Engineering at HqO, you will:
- Manage, motivate, and mentor local engineers and offshore contractors, comprising multiple scrum teams, to maximize delivery velocity and quality.
- Lead your teams in solving challenging problems drawing on your years of technical expertise.
- Facilitate aspects of our Agile/Scrum development process including its continuous improvement.
- Assist in release and deployment events, helping to ensure the best possible customer experience when the rubber meets the road.
- Track objectives, dependencies, status, and results of a project portfolio spanning internationally distributed engineering teams.
- Add to the spirit and culture that keeps our people happy, our team awesome, and HqO a great place to work.
- You have experience managing software development teams and being responsible for driving delivery.
- You are fully versed in Agile/Scrum development processes and principles and you’ve lived its life cycle from requirements through post-deployment.
- You also have significant experience as a people manager along with the critical soft- skills of team building, motivating, mentoring, goal setting, and career planning. It is very likely that you have been a software engineer or perhaps still are. This would be greatly valued as is a comfortable working knowledge of Linux, GitHub, AWS, SQL, and preferably at least some of our tech stack which includes Node.js, React.js, React Native, and TypeScript.
- Experience with analytics databases (e.g., Snowflake or another columnar DB) and associated pipelines would also be greatly valued as our value proposition is as focused on data and analytics as it is the mobile apps.
- I18N/L10N experience is also a big plus as we are going global. Whether or not you still write production code, you actively engage in projects, meetups, or other activities designed to maintain your skills.
- You are of course proficient with collaboration tools such as Slack, JIRA, and G-Suite or similar.
- Beyond those staples, the more experience with tools related to the process of defining, building, delivering, and managing great software the better since you will play an important role in the continuous tuning of our processes.
- You have equal passions for execution excellence and seeing your work have an impact. The team you’ll be joining feels the same way and is never content until the results are in.
- We strive to simplify and streamline, but the needs of our customers are complex by nature.
- You bring a demonstrated ability to manage through complexity without being overwhelmed.
- We move fast and win as a team. This is your comfort zone as well.
- Excellent written and oral communications are a must as is meticulous attention to detail. Most job descriptions say this, but these are crucial to success in this role. While content is king, you understand that presentation matters as it reflects not only on you, but on the integrity and professionalism of our team as a whole.
- You also understand the importance of building relationships within and beyond your team.
- You probably have an M.S. in Computer Science or a related engineering discipline, or almost certainly a B.S. We value formal education, but the right experience also goes a long way.
- You aspire to great things and are willing to work to get there.
HqO Benefits: HqO prides itself in building exceptional career opportunities and offering outstanding benefits to our team such as equity in the company, PPO and HMO health plan options, 401k, and unrestricted paid vacation time. HqO is not your average company. We have the enthusiasm of a start-up, a culture driven from industry veterans committed to long-term growth, and the benefits package of an industry leader. We offer great benefits for a very simple reason: we can attract the best people and then enable them to focus on the extraordinary opportunity in front of them. HqO is a great place to work.
Additional Information: The position is based in Boston MA. You must be legally able to work in the United States. We’re ready for you to start immediately! HqO is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. HqO employees are rewarded competitively and are entitled to a wide range of benefits that encourage a positive lifestyle and sharing in the company’s success. We do not accept resumes from placement agencies, headhunters or other suppliers that have not signed a formal agreement with us.Apply Now