Director, Experience Center, Interactive Advertising Bureau
By She Runs It
Director, Experience Center
The Director, Experience Center (XC) identifies key challenges and opportunities for growth facing interactive advertising in emerging technologies. In a high profile role, the Director will work with industry leaders to define and execute solutions in the form of industry guidelines and best practices documents, research studies (working with IAB Research team), thought leadership event engagements, technical standards and services (working with IAB Tech Lab), educational programs (working with IAB Learning & Development team), and more.
The Director will support the VP, XC on smooth running of the IAB Experience Center, a part of IAB’s Editorial Department. The Director will oversee select IAB committees and working groups comprised of industry members committed to addressing key issues, serving both leadership and organizing roles to help the committees achieve their goals.
Reporting to the VP XC, this Director will be a critical IAB team member, establishing thought leadership and propagating growth in key components of the digital advertising ecosystem—specifically related to emerging technologies and resulting marketplaces. The Director will work closely with counterparts in the Media and Programmatic and Data Center teams, given the cross-channel nature of the areas of responsibility, and will also work with the IAB Tech Lab to discuss potential technical solutions based on Experience Center-identified needs. In addition, the Director will work closely with the Member Engagement and Development (MED) team to develop and support monetization strategies for the XC’s work.
Scope and Impact of the Position
The Director XC, will be working in high-profile areas within the IAB to facilitate the development of solutions to some of today’s most significant and interesting advertising industry challenges—establishing a clear roadmap to help marketers evolve and grow brand investment in emerging platforms. The Experience Center is currently focused on increasing brand investment and reducing friction on the following three emerging platforms: Augmented Reality, Voice and Digital Assistants, and Games and eSports.
Basic Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
- Identification of prioritized specific challenges and opportunities that will benefit from industry cooperation and articulation of proposed solutions.
- Organization of relevant IAB committees and councils, including setting individual committee objectives, balancing diverse interests and views, developing short-term and long-term project plans, keeping projects on track, and implementing communications and adoption strategies. The Director will work closely with IAB’s Program Management Organization to integrate the Center’s activities with the rest of IAB.
- Working with IAB Tech Lab to translate business requirements in these areas into the case for the establishment of standards and services and to help promote successful adoption. Similarly, work with IAB’s Research team to inform research studies and with IAB Learning & Development to inform educational offerings.
- Development of market-making white papers, best practices documents, blog posts, social media posts, and other thought pieces that help improve the working of emerging technologies in the advertising ecosystem.
- Working with the rest of the Editorial department as well as the Events team to help program and manage IAB’s regular tentpole events (the Annual Leadership Meeting, the NewFronts/Podcast Upfronts, and Disruption Week).
- Organizing and hosting town halls, committee meetings, and working group meetings ranging in size from 10-100 people. Currently held virtually, but with an expectation that face-to-face events will return post pandemic.
- Participation in other industry events—speaking as well as organizing—to promote IAB initiatives, gather industry input into IAB priorities, etc.
- Ability to summarize key issues and opportunities: Ability to assess the digital landscape and identify key opportunities / challenges by priority
- Ability to present a narrative: Ability to construct a narrative and communicate that in verbal and written format (in prose and in PowerPoint presentation style)
- Ability to critically think about core issues: Ability to research and synthesize issues from a range of sources and stakeholders and brainstorm with the team to improve the rigor of our strategy and thinking
- Ability to work with senior stakeholders: Demonstrated capacity to convene, manage and lead large groups— ensuring all voices are heard but with an ability to drive to consensus and action.
- Excellent organizational skills, ideally demonstrated in strategy development, thought pieces (white papers, infographics, webinars, etc.) or research.
- At least 4 years of experience in digital project/account management, business strategy, business development, publisher sales, or directly relevant operations with a technology-first focus.
- Strong knowledge of the media and advertising industries, especially the digital advertising ecosystem. Experience with local marketing is preferred. E-commerce background a plus. Orientation toward business development/revenue generation.
- Ability to deal with both the big picture and the small details while successfully multitasking.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Should be comfortable speaking in front of small and large groups.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Graduate degree preferred.
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) empowers the media and marketing industries to thrive in the digital economy.
It is comprised of more than 650 leading media and technology companies that are responsible for selling, delivering, and optimizing digital advertising or marketing campaigns. Together, they account for 86 percent of online advertising in the United States. Working with its member companies, the IAB develops technical standards and best practices and fields critical research on interactive advertising, while also educating brands, agencies, and the wider business community on the importance of digital marketing. The organization is committed to professional development and elevating the knowledge, skills, expertise, and diversity of the workforce across the industry. Through the work of its public policy office in Washington, D.C., the IAB advocates for its members and promotes the value of the interactive advertising industry to legislators and policymakers. Founded in 1996, the IAB is headquartered in New York City and has a West Coast office in San Francisco.Apply Now