Editorial Manager, Skyword Inc.
By She Runs It
Are you a meticulous, deadline-driven editorial professional on a crusade to rid the world of clunky copy and fill it with persuasive prose? Do you enjoy working in a collaborative environment to create engaging content that forges lasting relationships between brands and audiences? Are you interested in helping brands increase their reach by telling their stories—not selling their products? Super. Come join our team.
Skyword is seeking an individual with 3+ years of full-time, professional editorial experience to join our Content Services team in support of our clients’ content marketing programs. The ideal candidate must be detail-oriented with exceptional developmental and line editing skills, possess impeccable editorial judgement and an eye for quality, and display strong project management, communication, and collaboration skills. Experience editing content for B2B technology, financial, or medical audiences is preferred but not a requirement.
While writers with relevant experience as mentioned above are welcome to apply, this is not a copywriting position.
By joining Skyword, you will have the opportunity to be an integral part of an industry-leading organization. This role would be connected to our Boston office.
- Immersing yourself in each client’s market to better understand the brand, target audience, and value proposition supported by the content
- Collaborating with professional services managers to develop assignment summaries for each piece of content, which act as guides for our writers, ensuring content produced aligns with our vision and client goals and expectations
- Performing an initial review and developmental assessment of all work submitted by writers with the goal of ensuring that it is cohesive, meets all core requirements of the assignment summary, and, in substance, tells a story that is compelling, well-argued and on-brand
- Performing a final proofread of all fully edited content
- Owning account-specific contributor management, including recruitment, onboarding/offboarding, feedback and training
- Communicating revision requests to contributors (including any client-requested revisions as needed), providing detailed, constructive feedback to ensure that content meets assignment expectations and editorial standards and to help strengthen their writing skills
- Supporting content audits through timely, critical, and accurate evaluation of content against established criteria
- Developing and maintaining custom editorial style guidelines for each account
- Maintaining professional communication with internal and client team members regarding the status of content deliverables, content priorities, and editorial quality
- Managing content production timelines as assignments move through the editorial workflow, ensuring the timely completion and delivery of all assets
- Using data, industry and editorial best practices, and creativity to identify ways to improve content quality and translating those ideas into actionable recommendations for clients
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field
- Minimum of three years of experience development editing and line editing and at least one year working directly with writers
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills with an exceptional eye for detail
- Expert knowledge of both The Chicago Manual of Style and the Associated Press Stylebook
- Exceptional understanding of what a writer needs to submit quality work
- Experience supporting the production and delivery of time-sensitive written content
- Excellent time management and project management skills with the ability to effectively support concurrent projects and adapt to changing priorities and timelines
- A curious mind that is willing to learn about and understand diverse industries and audiences
- Superior communication skills
- An editing test will be required of candidates
- Experience working in a client-facing position
- Experience editing and publishing within a CMS
- Experience with online content
- Strong understanding of search engine optimization concepts and digital publishing best practices
- Experience using performance data to support strong editorial recommendations
- A competitive market-based salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance plans
- 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan
- Flexible Vacation time
- 12 paid holidays
- Volunteer days
- An open and friendly work environment
Founded in 2010, Skyword empowers today’s top brands to create unique content experiences that deliver customer value and drive business success. With its SaaS+ model, Skyword offers: a SaaS-based enterprise-level content marketing platform, industry-leading services, and a global community of storytellers. Today’s leading brands have created and published more than one million original stories as articles, videos, images, infographics, podcasts, and animations on Skyword360. These stories have earned Skyword customers more than two billion visits organically, and Skyword has paid its freelance creatives more than $30 million on behalf of its customers. Skyword is a privately held company headquartered in Boston, MA with an office in Washington D.C. Current investors include Rho Acceleration, Cox Media Group, Allen & Company, Progress Ventures, and American Public Media Group.
Skyword is proud to be endorsed by both the analyst community and our customers year after year. Most recently, we were named the 2020 Gartner Peer Insights “Customer’s Choice”, ranked as a leader in Gartner’s 2021 Magic Quadrant, and rated by customers as a leader or high performer across 8 categories (including content creation, distribution, experience, and freelance platform) in G2’s Spring 2021 Grid® Reports.
We’re on a mission to make it easy for brands to tell authentic stories that establish trust and build lasting relationships. We believe that both you and your audience win when you meet their needs with original, expert content. And we’ve got the results to prove it.