Sales Manager, Schools Databases – Bloomsbury Publishing Inc.
By She Runs It
Sales Manager, Schools Databases
Established in 1998 and located in midtown Manhattan, Bloomsbury USA is a general interest publisher of adult and children’s books that has become known for both its high-quality fiction and non-fiction for adults and children as well as its extensive Academic publishing from the world’s most recognized experts.
Bloomsbury Academic publishes a portfolio of print titles and digital platforms from the world’s most-recognized experts across the Humanities and Social Sciences. Our audience ranges from academics to librarians to professionals to readers who are ardent enthusiasts across a wide range of interests. Our authors are often considered to be among the most respected scholars in their fields and include such luminaries as Paulo Freire, Carol J. Adams, and Slavoj Žižek to name but a few.
Reporting to the VP, Global Sales + Digital Marketing, the School Sales Manager will meet/exceed aggressive sales targets by managing a team of experienced school sales professionals, creating, and executing a sales strategy for driving new business across US schools, at both the district level, as well as with individual public and private schools.
Key activities will include effective lead generation and prospecting for new customers, responding to content-relevant RFPs, setting individual and team targets, setting segmentation strategy for prospects, determining/adjusting sales territories as necessary, developing and managing outreach campaigns, establishing minimum account touches by season, and participating in customer calls or presentations. The School Sales Manager will also be involved in ensuring high use of products post-sale, determining appropriate pricing for new products, and helping to manage key accounts whether individual institutions or districts.
The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of the school marketplace and the ability to communicate effectively with decision-makers, presenting products across a range of subjects in the social sciences.
- Meet/exceed sales targets as set by management
- Set and execute a sales strategy for new business development that leads to sales targets being met/exceeded
- Effectively manage a team of school sales professionals, guiding them to success in developing new business
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Lead RFP response, determining optimum pricing and coordinating across functions and divisions to ensure the most robust bids are submitted and won.
- Provide timely feedback to management on the status of key sales and sales trends, as well as MTD and YTD sales, sales pipeline, and opportunities
- Set and track sales targets for each member of the sales team, aligned with company objectives, and monitor sales metrics and key performance indicators
- Suggest actions to improve sales performance and identify opportunities for growth
- Conduct site visits with sales representatives and represents Bloomsbury Digital Resources at relevant school and school library conferences
- Work closely with the Renewals/Customer Success team as well as Schools Marketing to ensure a joined-up approach and effective implementation of strategy.
- Serve on internal committees dedicated to issues highly relevant to sales, including usage, pricing, and campaign planning.
- Minimum 7-10 years experience in selling digital content to the US schools market and quantifiable success as a sales/account manager
- A publishing or electronic resources background
- An extensive set of US School contacts highly desirable
- Hands-on experience in sales and an ability to deliver an excellent customer experience
- Knowledge of SalesForce.com preferred and MS Office (MS Excel in particular)
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Experience in assigning sales territories
- Entrepreneurial attitude with a focus on problem-solving
- Ability to travel up to 25%
Include a cover letter with your resume when applying.
Bloomsbury has adopted a hybrid work policy comprising of two days in-office work and three days of remote work. Candidates residing in NY, NJ, or CT must be able to commute to Bloomsbury’s New York City office on a mutually agreed-upon schedule for in-office work. Full-time remote work might be available for candidates residing in IL, FL, TX, NY, NC, CA, or VA.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Bloomsbury Publishing USA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our company has always followed and will continue to follow, a policy of providing equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, sex, ethnicity, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
We welcome and celebrate talent from all backgrounds and believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are crucial elements to our success. We are dedicated to actively and continuously improving our practices to better support all of our employees. For more information about Bloomsbury’s diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, please see our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Action Plan.