Vice President of Development – She Runs It
By She Runs It
Vice President of Development
She Runs It (formerly Advertising Women of New York or AWNY) has believed in the power of women well before they had a seat at the table. AWNY was founded in 1912 by journal editors Christine and J. George Frederick as a counter to the exclusive, all-male Advertising League. Designed to encourage and promote women’s roles in the advertising industry, the club held classes and dinners with presentations on advertising best practices, and gave scholarships to encourage girls to pursue degrees in advertising during a time when women weren’t even allowed in many universities. Since then, She Runs Its community has grown beyond advertising to support women in marketing, media and technology with a mission to pave the way for more women to lead at each stage of their careers in marketing, media and technology. As we look at the next five years, our goal is to be perceived as a must join organization for women at each career stage in marketing, media and tech. We intend to expand nationally and serve communities beyond New York and Chicago by having a presence in five regions that cover fourteen cities across the United States. These regions will be East, Midwest, West, Southwest and South. We also intend to have inclusion and diversity as a core part of the solution we are solving for in our industry through the efforts of a program known as #inclusive100), which provides a measurement tool and thought leadership to identify best practices in creating more inclusive and diverse workforces. In order to achieve its goals, She Runs It is adding philanthropy as a strategic fundraising component to fulfill our vision and execute key strategies. This will supplement funding secured from individual memberships and investments by corporations. We have also redefined the roles of our Operating and Foundation boards to support these efforts. The Operating board will serve as a working board and one that requires individual giving. 100% of board members will give personally. The Foundation board will include executives from companies who invest in She Runs It on a corporate level. Their key role to support philanthropy will be to help create special experiences to enhance donor relations. The position of the Vice President of Development was created with full support of the Board of Directors, led by Board Chair Lisa Donohue and under the direction of President and CEO Lynn Branigan.
The Vice President of Development is the chief fundraising officer for She Runs It and is responsible for creating and implementing a broad-based, multi-constituency development program including major gifts, annual giving for general operating support and restricted special initiatives. Funds will be sought primarily from the private sector consisting of gifts and grants from individuals, corporations and foundations. The position will report to the President and CEO.
- Responsible for the creation of a best in class approach to philanthropy for She Runs It and to secure all philanthropic revenue including all sources through all solicitation methods
- Responsible for ensuring best practices are met & including best fundraising practices, standards of excellence, ethics, accountability, and donors’ rights
- Participates in regular senior management team meetings to plan and implement institutional objectives
- Coordinates the work of development with other key functions at She Runs It
- Creates and oversees the implementation and strategic direction of the newly launched individual giving program
- Leads all elements of fundraising, including creation of the case for support, prospect research, donor communication, cultivation and engagement activity, solicitations, stewardship, gift processing and gift recognition
- Creates and maintains an active portfolio of major gift prospects
- Participates personally in the cultivation and solicitation of major gifts, with an emphasis on individuals
- Collaborates with the Director, Business Development and Partnerships regarding corporate asks to ensure that both corporate philanthropy and corporate underwriting opportunities are leveraged to benefit She Runs It and its corporate supporters
- Provides support and guidance to the Operating Board of Directors members regarding their fundraising responsibilities
- Evaluates the development program on an annual basis to ensure that the development efforts of She Runs It are growing to meet its bold vision of growth and scaling of impact
- Prepares the annual fundraising and expense budget projections
- Monitors and reports periodically on the results of these efforts
- Participates in the activities of She Runs It by planning and attending special events, participating in appropriate programs and representing She Runs It in business and industry associations and related organizations
- This newly created position will have limited administrative support in year one but additional resources will be possible with fundraising success
- The Vice President of Development will be responsible for building a team of development professionals over time to support the growth and sustainability of She Runs It fundraising efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; ten-plus years development experience
- Successful track record cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major gifts from individuals and corporations, with an emphasis on individuals
- Strong manager with experience working in a startup mode and building a team of development professionals
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Passion for She Runs It’s mission and vision.