Recap: 2017 Women to Watch
By She Runs It
Written by: She Runs It Member, Laura Vinci
The 2017 Women to Watch event honored 22 ceiling-breaking career women for their professional milestones of sharing insights, providing advice and dedicating themselves to lifting other women up the ladder. These highly accomplished executives were recognized for doing more than inspiring others, but also their progress and work to increase the number of women and people of color in advertising and marketing.
Judann Pollack, Deputy Editor of Ad Age, and Sheila Buckley, Chair of the She Runs It Board of Directors, kicked off the ceremony by celebrating what a great year it had been in the world for women, including the Fearless Girl just down the road at Wall Street, as well as She Runs It – for its new branding, launch into Chicago and future plans for expansion in San Francisco. The event was a celebration of the 22 honorees and the industry as a whole. “This is my favorite event for two reasons: we get to honor amazing women by throwing a great party.” Shelia’s right, those Cipriani Bellini’s are legendary and were a crowd favorite!
Judann introduced each honoree and invited them to the stage to share a few words. Coupled with some great video content, the audience was able to hear how these women got to where they are today and how collaboration is key – which happens to be the theme of this 21st edition of Women to Watch. Many of the honorees shared life-changing moments in their careers and shout-outs for their co-workers. A few highlights are below:
Kasha Cacy, U.S. CEO, UM
It’s our jobs to watch out for other women around us, in our organizations, and to encourage them.
Rita Ferro, President-Ad Sales, Disney-ABC TV Group
As you rise, lift. When we do that for ourselves and others, we see the reward ten-fold.
Sadira Furlow, Senior Director Brand Marketing-Water, PepsiCo
I’ve noticed that people are, in fact, watching. They are taking note of what you are doing. I’ve always been told the following three things: To leave more with people than I take, to protect your magic and to trust your dopeness.
Katie Newman, Chief Marketing Officer, Leo Burnett
Own your weaknesses. I surround myself with people who excel where I struggle.
Telisa Yancy, Chief Marketing Officer, American Family Insurance
When people look at us I hope they see board members, future CEOs, future catalysts for change.
2017 Women to Watch Honorees:
- Kasha Cacy, U.S. CEO, UM
- Allison Cerra, Chief Marketing Officer, McAfee
- Tara DeVeaux, Chief Marketing Officer, BBDO
- Rita Ferro, President-Ad Sales, Disney-ABC TV Group
- Sadira Furlow, Senior Director Brand Marketing-Water, PepsiCo
- Stacey Hawes, President, Data Practice, Epsilon
- Kendra H. King, VP-Marketing Engagement, Sapient Razorfish
- Krystle Loyland, CEO, Preacher
- Lauren Lumsden, Site Director, The Scene, Conde Nast Entertainment’s The Scene
- Danielle Maged, Executive Vice President of Global Partnerships, Fox Networks Group
- Kate Mitchell, Senior VP-Sales, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network
- Katie Newman, Chief Marketing Officer, Leo Burnett
- Karyn Rockwell, CEO, FCB New York
- Julie Scott, General Manager of Onion Labs, Onion Labs
- Carla Serrano, CEO Publicis NY, Global Chief Strategy Officer Publicis Worldwide, Publicis Communications and Publicis Worldwide
- Samantha Skey, President, Chief Revenue Officer, SheKnows Media
- Tracy Stallard, Head of US Media, Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Robyn Streisand, Founder & CEO, Titanium Worldwide
- Lisa Sugar, President & Founder, PopSugar
- Karin Timpone, Global Marketing Officer, Marriott International
- Janey Whiteside, Senior Vice President & General Manager of Global Charge Products, Benefits & Services, American Express
- Telisa Yancy, Chief Marketing Officer, American Family Insurance
Special thanks to our partner, Advertising Age, for hosting 2017 Women to Watch!